Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Vegan Blueberry Lemon pancakes

Blueberries in batter on left, blueberry's on top right


1 cup of unbleached flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp sea salt
1/8 cup of flax seed
Zest from ½ of a lemon
1 tbs of melted non-hydrogenated margarine
1 cup of almond milk (note: I needed some extra but it depends how your batter is acting that day. I probably added an extra 1/8 cup.)
As many blueberries as you would like I would guess I used ½ a cup maybe more

Mix together the dry ingredients and then mix in the zest and wet ingredients. Put a pan, I used a flat plan, on medium heat and brush lightly with non-hydrogenated margarine.

Now this is where I experimented for the first batch I used a ladle and put 4 pancakes on the pan and then dropped the blueberries on them. Once the batter on top begins to bubble you know it is time to flip the pancake. Cook on both sides until lightly browned. Then top with anything, powdered sugar, more “butter” or maple syrup. I used real organic maple syrup and more earth balance spread.

For the second half I added the blueberries directly to the mix and lightly stirred. Then turned the pan to low and cooked the pancakes. Now these will take longer because they are thicker with the berries in them.

The reason I did this experiment? Well my mom always added the blueberries to the mix at the end, but lately on cooking shows I’ve seen them put them on in the cooking process. My personal opinion: The blueberries that were added after the pancakes were on the pan were quicker and easier and looked nicer, but you cannot beat the flavor of the pancakes with the blueberries throughout! I guess mom really does know best!

Now for the other part of the experiment, I fed them to my dad as blueberry lemon pancakes and he loved them. He is a vegan-phobic and he had no idea that there weren’t any animal products in them. Not to toot my own horn, but they were probably the best pancakes I've had!

Score 1 for Mom and Jen, Score 0 for Chef’s and Dad.

This will serve 3-4 people!

No comments:

Post a Comment