Thursday, June 23, 2011

Haluski

Growing up ½ Polish Haluski, also known as Cabbage and Noodles was a mainstay in my diet and I loved it since I was a child even though I’m not a huge fan of butter and cabbage used to gross me out. Now as an adult it is a perfect veg side or main dish that brings me back to childhood.

1 package of medium egg noodles
1 onion diced
1 head of cabbage chopped into strips 2” by 1”
1 stick of butter

First get your noodles going and then add half of your stick of butter to a separate pan. Saute the onions for about a minute and then add your cabbage, adding more butter as needed. Cook until the cabbage is soft and then add your noodles. You want to add more butter now. Cook until the noodles and cabbage get a bit browned. Top with salt, pepper, and paprika.You can serve this as a main dish during lent or as a side with Kielbasa, just don't try it with Tofurky Kielbasa!

It is so simple and easy so go ahead and try it!
  

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm Jen this brings back memories of my Polish household too! I admit, I was never a fan of cabbage until the last year or so either. Can't wait to try this version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I really miss Halupki, I'm going to have to try and vegi-fy that!

    ReplyDelete