Thursday, July 7, 2011

Spicy Curry Spaghetti with Chickpeas


My coworker and I were talking and one of them said they added curry powder to their sauce, so with that thought in my head I created this recipe…Italy meet India! Italians make pasta e ceci, which is just pasta in a red sauce with chickpeas. Chickpeas are also heavily used in Indian cooking and they are a good source of protein. That’s a win win situation to me! It’s also something that meat eaters and even vegans can enjoy.

Ingredients:

1lb of spaghetti
2 tbs of olive oil
3 cloves of garlic
1 hot pepper I used a Hungarian wax from my garden
1 can of whole peeled tomatoes diced
I would have diced a real onion but I didn’t have one but I had some dehydrated onion from whole foods so I used that.
1 can of drained rinsed chickpeas
Fresh Basil
Fresh Oregano
Dried Italian seasoning
About 2 tsp of curry powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook your Spaghetti according to packaged directions. Heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add your garlic and your hot pepper. One they are soft add your tomatoes, dehydrated onion, basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, curry powder, chickpeas, and salt and pepper. Cook for 20 minutes until the tomatoes breakdown and your sauce comes together.

 (side note: the beautiful purple basil is from my garden)

No comments:

Post a Comment