Thursday, September 15, 2011

Potato Pancakes


As a child of a polish mother, potato pancakes were a staple in my diet, especially around Easter for lent. This past weekend my mother and I made them together and it brought back a lot of memories. My mom to this date makes the best potato pancakes in this world.

Potato Pancakes with Applesauce

4 Large Potatoes shredded
¼ to ½ grated or diced onion
2-3 tablespoons of flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 egg
Enough oil to coat the bottom of your frying pan

First peel and shred your potatoes. According to my mom, this must be done by hand because they taste better that way. If you are busy a food processor will suffice. Another tip, use fresh potatoes because they are better with fresh potatoes. Either grate or dice your onion and add to the mix to a large bowl. Then add 2-3 tablespoons of flour, depending on the water content of the potatoes. You really do not want to add a lot of flour to this recipe because you want to taste the fresh potatoes. If you add too much flour it will taste like paste, trust me it happened the first time I ever made them. Then add your baking powder, egg, salt and pepper and mix to combine. Bring your oil up to frying temp and place the potato mixture in the pan. You may need to flatten it a bit with a spatula. Cook until golden brown on both sides, flipping it halfway through. Drain on a paper towel. These are best served right out of the frying pan so try to make them on the spot. My mother grew up eating them with applesauce so that is the way we eat them, but there are plenty of other options. You can eat with sour cream, ketchup, or even maple syrup. My dad eats them with maple syrup, I’m actually a bit repulsed by it but I have to admit there was a time I used to eat them like that. If you are feeling fancy, make them bite sized and top with sour cream and caviar, when I ate caviar, I thoroughly enjoyed them like that.


This is what the mixture should look like

4 comments:

  1. My Jewish Polish boyfriend makes the potato pancakes in the house. He makes them exactly as you do, but with matzo meal instead of flour. There is only one way to make them: his way. This means there can be no fancy-pants latkes made from sweet potatoes or beets, and absolutely no sour cream. Sugar and applesauce are the only accoutrements allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blog and the recipe shown on this blog looking great my mouth is watering now but I want to to do some topping of caviar on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious! Love your blog-- my partner is also a meat-eater, and finding meals that satisfy us both is a wonderful and interesting challenge!

    ReplyDelete