Friday, October 8, 2010

Chocolate Banana Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Icing

I always have bananas in the house, we all love them even Rigley (our dog). Unfortunately, we don’t always eat them fast enough and they go bad. I normally make banana bread, banana pancakes, or my mom’s banana cake but I wanted something different this time. So I looked on the internet on the Joy of Baking website and came across a recipe for Chocolate Banana Cake! The only thing I changed is that instead of making a ganache I made Chocolate Buttercream.
Ingredients:
2 cups of sugar
1 ¾ cups of all purpose unbleached flour
1 ½ tsps of baking soda
1 ½ tsps of baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 large eggs
2 medium bananas , mashed
1 cup of warm water
½ cup of milk
½ cup of canola oil
2 tsps of vanilla extract

Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a 9 x 13 inch pan. Set aside.
In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder,
baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, mashed bananas, water, milk,
oil, and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir,
or whisk, until combined.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 t0 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. When completely cooled, frost with the chocolate buttercream.
 It was definitely a hit. My parents loved it, my husband loved it, my coworkers loved it and I loved it too. This will be a recipe I use again! Thanks a bunch Joy of Baking!


1 comment:

  1. LOVE this cake!!! I think you might have forgotten the cocoa in the ingredient list tho.....

    ReplyDelete