Monday, May 3, 2010

Blue Sky Cafe

 
So I cannot say enough about this place! I absolutely love it and will find any excuse to eat here I guess I’ve been eating here for over a year. I wish I knew about it when I went to Lehigh because I would have eaten there everyday! I remember it used to be a vegan place called the green café but I believe that was back when I was a freshman and sophomore in college because we used to order vegan food for bands that played at Lehigh. It is definitely my favorite restaurant in Bethlehem and I wish I lived closer. I particularly love Jon Solomon’s Veggie Stir. It’s my favorite thing for breakfast period and I can’t help but getting it every time I go there. It is tomato, onion, asparagus, mushrooms, broccoli and Asiago cheese over home fries, and you can get it with our without scrambled eggs. I don’t know what it is about this dish but it all goes so well together. It is perfectly seasoned and it has so much flavor. I don’t even miss bacon when I eat this! They have a ton of options and all of them sound amazing so you can’t go wrong eating here. Some items from the past that were also yummy: sweet potato black been chipotle soup, a pumpkin pancake, and the frittata with Portobello mushrooms, shallot, garlic and green pepper with Fontina cheese. Unfortunatly the soup and the pancakes were specials so you cannot always get them.

For the table, we ordered the special, lemon ricotta pancakes with blueberry maple syrup. They were absolutely fantastic! They were the best pancakes I have ever had in my life. They were still light and fluffy with the ricotta, which is really surprising since ricotta can really weigh food down. I loved how you could taste the lemon and ricotta but the flavor wasn’t too overpowering. The blueberry maple syrup even had real blueberries in it! It was a hit with the whole table, even my dad! I suggest trying one of the specials, especially if they have a pancake special!


 Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberry Maple Syrup

My dad got his old stand-by 2 eggs over easy, with scrapple and home fries, but this time I convinced him to get rye toast instead of white. Their rye toast is wonderful and some of the best rye outside of a Jewish deli that I’ve had.

2 eggs over easy with scapple, home fries, and rye bread

My mom got my favorite, the Jon Solomon’s Veggie Stir and it was wonderful as always
 
 John Solomon's Veggie Stir

This time I broke out of my box and tried the Fried Egg Rueben, which the waitress suggested. It was wonderful and a great substitute Rueben for a girl who adored Rueben’s before becoming meat-free. First of all it is on my favorite rye bread (you can’t go wrong there) then it is topped with sauerkraut (I love sauerkraut, I’m actually obsessed), Swiss cheese, and Thousand Island. The Fried egg wasn’t a lifeless fried egg that you get at your local bagel joint. The yolk was still soft and a little runny so when you bit into it the flavor just burst into your mouth. Who knew a Fried Egg Rueben would make me forget that I didn’t order the Veggie Stir? I thought I would have been envious of my mom’s dish but it was worth switching from my norm. I will warn you, it’s a bit difficult to eat because the egg likes to slide off along with the cheese, dressing and kraut, yes I know normal Rueben’s slide too, but this is actually a lot worse then the slipping and sliding you normally get with a regular Rueben.

Fried Egg Reuben with home fries

I really wish I lived closer because I would eat here all of the time, but hopefully my schedule clears up enough where I will have time to visit Blue Sky more frequently. There are some other breakfast and lunch items that I’m dying to try and I would love to go there for dinner (they only have dinner every Friday and Saturday night). You will definitely see more blogs about this place in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment