Saturday, May 15, 2010

Vegan Red Beans and Rice

I have never made red beans and rice before and I got a craving so I looked in my pantry and created this recipe.

I found a can of Aduki red beans, which I’ve never eaten before so I figured I’d try them and they are awesome.


 For the Hot sauce I used garlic style Pain is good hot sauce, with this VERY little goes a long way. It is knock your socks off spicy and the flavor can easily overpower anything.


This dish may not look pretty but it was definitely tasty and I will be making this again! Oh and just because it is Vegan doesn't mean its not good. It just means that there is no animal products in it including dairy and egg. This is a really good meal if you are a Vegan and like southwest style meals because it provides a complete protein (beans and rice).



1 28 oz can of organic diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can of organic beans
1 cup of organic Brown rice
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp minced dried onion
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp dried oregano (I didn’t have cilantro)
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 few dashes of hot sauce
S&P to taste

First cook your rice according to the packaged directions. Then in a medium pot put your tomatoes herbs and spices and simmer for about 10 minutes stirring every once in awhile. Then add your beans and simmer for another 10-15 minutes or until your rice is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment