Monday, June 7, 2010

Grilled Asian Sirloin Steak with Grilled Asian Veggies, Cilantro Lime Rice, and Grilled Corn on the Cob


Since it’s been so nice and warm outside, I was really in the mood to grill. My new favorite thing on the grill is grilled veggies of any kind, but let’s face the grill makes everything better. I do suggest getting a grill pan if you intend to grill veggies because veggies fall between the grates quite easily. One great tip for the grill is marinating. You can change the flavors of any meat or veggie just by the marinade. When I grilled I was in the mood for hibachi so I created my hibachi style marinade from some of the ingredients I’ve seen Chefs use while making Hibachi. The steak and veggies had a slightly different marinade but feel free to use either whichever one appeals to you.
Grilled Asian Sirloin Steaks
A few splashes of soy sauce. Enough to coat the bottom of a pyrex to marinade the steak. I’d say probably an 1/8 of a cup if I had to guess.
A few splashes of evoo about 3-5 tbs
A few splashes of sake about 5 tbs (this is the key ingredient in the marinade to make it taste like hibachi)
Clearly this marinade is not a science. Just make sure you have enough to cover about half of the steak so when you flip it the other half gets some marinade too.
Sprinkle each side of the steaks with ground ginger, salt, pepper, and your favorite grill seasoning and then place in the marinade. Marinade each side of the steaks for 15 minutes or until the marinade soaks in.
Grill about 3-5 minutes on each side on medium depending on the thickness and your meat preference.  Let rest for a few minutes and then serve.  On a side note if you do not let you meat rest all of the juices will run out and you will be left with a rubbery juiceless steak! Always let your meat rest!
Grilled Asian Style Vegetables.
For this I used a few small zucchini, 2 portabella caps, ½ a medium red onion, and 2 small crowns of broccoli. Trust me this is enough for 4 people with leftovers!
A few splashes of soy sauce once again about 1/8 cup
A few splashes of evoo about 3-5 tbs
A few splashes of sake about 5 tbs (this is the key ingredient in the marinade to make it taste like hibachi)
Salt and fresh ground pepper
About  1tsp of ginger
About ½ tsp of red pepper flakes (this can be omitted if you do not like it spicy)
About ½ tsp garlic powder
Once again make enough marinade to coat the bottom of the bowl or pan. I like to use 2 bowls or pans with vegetables because the marinade likes to settle at the bottom so I transfer the top veg to the bottom of the other pan and then the marinade hits them. Or you can stir frequently.
Put your veggies on grill pan or on in an aluminum pan and grill for about 10-15 minutes on medium. Make sure you scoop out the veg with a slotted spoon because the marinade will just go on the grill and create a lot of smoke. Make sure to save the marinade because after the vegetables are cooked but still crisp toss them back in the bowl with the marinade and serve. It makes a wonderful sauce/dressing.
I can only comment on the veggies but they were really good and a heck of a lot cheaper to make at home than to get at hibachi.
Rice is a perfect accompaniment to grilled meats and veggies. Sure you can grill some potatoes or sweet potatoes for a starch but I wanted something light and refreshing. I had some Cilantro in the fridge, so I thought Cilantro Lime Rice would be a great addition to my meal. I’ve had it at a few places including Chipotle, so I looked up how to make it. A lot of people suggested adding the lime and cilantro to the beginning of the cooking process but it wouldn’t be light and summery if you did it that way, so here’s my recipe.
1 cup of uncooked white Thai Jasmine Rice (cook to the packaged directions with water and a few dashes of sea salt)
Once the rice is cooked, stir in some evoo, about 1 tbs, to get the rice nice and shinny and to keep it from sticking. Then squeeze the juice of one lime. My lime was small and not juicy so I popped it in the microwave for 10 seconds before I cut it to get more juice out of it. Stir the rice to make sure the lime juice is distributed over the rice evenly. Then chop about a ½ handful of cilantro and stir into the rice. Fluff with a fork and serve. This rice was very flavorful and the best version of cilantro lime rice Domenick and I’ve had. This will serve about 4-6 people.
Grilled Corn on the Cob
1-2 Cob’s per person
Shuck the ears of corn and get some crushed ice. Cut a piece of aluminum foil and place the corn on the foil and add the crushed ice on the side of the corn and then wrap. Place on grill turning every once in awhile. These will cook in 15-20 minutes. Then add your favorite condiments. I like butter or Earth Balance spread and salt or butter/earth balance spread with Aww Shucks seasoning and parmesan cheese.





No comments:

Post a Comment