Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tagliatelle with Asparagus and Peas

For some reason I love the combination of pasta and asparagus. My favorite is gnocchi with asparagus, which hopefully I will make soon. This Friday my husband and I wanted to stay in, drink some wine, and watch a movie. I’d been craving pasta with asparagus yet again, so I figured I would make a new recipe. Since it is incredibly hot out, I wanted a light pasta dish. Cream sauce was out of the question and we are running low on homemade marinara sauce so I figured a white wine sauce would work. Here is my new recipe:

½ lb of Egg Tagliatelle (sometimes hard to find so you can sub fettuccine if you’d like)
2 bunches of asparagus tips cut into ½ inch pieces (I actually found tips instead of spears so I just trimmed the very edge off)
½ bag of frozen peas (preferably sweet peas)
2 tbsp of evoo
2 large cloves of garlic
S&P to taste
1 tbsp of fresh chopped oregano
1 tbsp of fresh chopped thyme
½ cup of starchy cooking liquid
½ cup of white wine (I used pinot grigio)
The juice of 1 ½ lemons (try to use fresh juicy sweet lemons)
2 tbsp of fresh basil

Bring 2 large pots of salted water to a boil. Cook your pasta al dente to the packaged instructions. In a large pan heat evoo and sauté the garlic for about 2 minutes then add the oregano, thyme and S&P. Once the herbs are fragrant about 5 minutes on low, add the white wine and starchy cooking liquid. Add your asparagus and peas to the other pot of boiling water and boil them until the peas are no longer frozen but still crisp and your asparagus is still crisp. No limp veggies here. Add the juice from the lemons to the pan and drain the pasta and the veggies. Toss the veggies, pasta and sauce in a bowl. If the pasta is not loose enough add some more evoo. Garnish with freshly chopped basil and freshly grated parmesan cheese and then serve immediately. I hope you enjoy this light summer pasta as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment